Sunday, February 17, 2013

Copycat Recipe of "Dave's Killer Bread"

On our quest to eat organic, without refined sugar or white *stuff* I've been making bread like a MAD WOMAN.

Last week I ran out of time to make a few loaves, so I ran to the store and bought a loaf of "Dave's Killer Bread"

...it was amazing.


It was hearty and sweet and rad. 

I was determined to copycat it's recipe.

The ingredients had some pretty crazy things. More sweetener than I usually use, quinoa (wtf) and lots and lots of oats.

I made it.

It was delicious.


Here's the recipe:

2¼ c of warm water
2 tbls of yeast
2 tbls of coconut oil
2 tbls of honey
2 tbls of molasses
1 tbls of sea salt
¼ c of flax seed
¼ c of cracked wheat
¼ c of red oats (or any other thick cut oat you have)
¼ c of sunflower seeds
¼ c of quinoa
4 c of whole wheat flower (approx)

In your kitchen aid or mixer, add your warm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit for a few minutes. Add your honey, salt, molasses, coconut oil and give it a quick mix.

Add the rest of your dry ingredients, minus the flour and mix again, just to wet the ingredients. 

Slowly add your flour. Just until the dough pulls away from your bowl. 

Throw it on a floured counter and give it a good knead. Just until the dough stops absorbing the flour.

Wash your dough bowl out. Dry it off and coat it with some oil. Place your dough in the bowl, cover with a warm damp towel and let rise until double in size.

Punch down, knead it out again, place back in bowl. Let it rise double in size, punch down, knead it out and cut the dough in half.

Take out two loaf pans, spray with oil. 

Knead out your two dough balls, create your loaves and place in pans. Cover the tops with a light oil ( I used olive oil). Cover with a damp warm towel and let rise until you have nice round crowns on both.

Heat your oven to 425.

Remove towel, throw your bread in the oven and cook for approx. 30 minutes.

To make sure your bread is cooked thoroughly, flip your loaf out onto a hot pad and flick the bottom. If it sounds hollow, your bread is done!

Enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. I am trying to make your bread today, I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread is absolutely a big hit at my house! My husband loved it. I added pumpkin,chia seeds, and a little coconut flour as I need more flour and that is what I had at hand. It is heavy like Dave's Killer Bread and toasted up beautifully. I plan on slicing it and putting it on the freezer. We eat about 3 slices a day so this will last us awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it supposed to be 2 Tablespoons of yeast? That seems like so much for a bread recipe. But maybe because of all the seeds and stuff in it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are all ingredients RAW? Cracked wheat; red oats; quinoa are like rocks, did you cook them? Please help me understand, thank you. I only eat DKB and really want to make some but am confused about the raw grain. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't have flax so subbed chia. Did it in the bread machine. WOW! Maybe the best bread I've ever made. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was amazing! Added chia seeds and a couple of others (and an egg) and it was dense and moist and crazy delicious. Used a borrowed heavy duty stand mixer made in sweden and made for mixing whole grain breads and it managed such a dense, grainy, seedy dough beautifully. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm assuming the quinoa is cooked. Going to try this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am at 4000 feet...so I'm not sure if that is why I had to make some of these changes...but I did the following...keeping in mind the subs were done because it was what I had on hand...I love this bread and so does the hubby.

    1. I add 2 T of sugar when I am blooming my yeast
    2. No cracked wheat or red oats. I use quick oats and hulled hempseed instead
    3. I cook the 1/4 cup quinoa in 1/2 c. water for about 10 minutes 1st, then I add a small handful of chia seeds to absorb remaining moisture (I did this because the dry raw quinoa seemed to suck the moisture out of the finished bread over the first day or two.
    4. I use pumpkin seeds that I have run through my magic bullet for 5 or 10 seconds instead of sunflower seeds.
    5. I split the flour 1/2 all purpose and half white whole wheat.
    6. I start the bread at 425 for 5 to 10 minutes then turn it down to 350 for the remaining 20-25 minutes. (got to dark for my taste)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at sea level, but I do similar things as you have done. I'm going to give spelt flour a whirl, too. It's an ancient grain and a bit healthier than wheat and white and when you use spelt flour, it works much like all-purpose flour. Rises well, makes a good bread, good cookies, etc.

      Delete
  9. I am at almost 7,000 feet, so this will be interesting......will let you know after the weekend how it goes! Did you see Dave got arrested for attempted assault? We will maybe need substitutes desperately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used spelt today and it was FABULOUS! I cooked the quinoa. I also added just about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the water with my yeast and it fed it well. This is an amazing copycat recipe. HIGHLY recommend this! Kids love it, too and they intensely dislike bread with "nuts" in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    Just spotted this great-looking recipe. Did anyone take a look at the cost of ingredients to make 2 loaves? Just curious and wondering how this compares in cost to the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fantastic recipe. I have made it two times now. The first time I made it I used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose. Our wheat flour was a little dense and I didn't want to risk making break that was too dense, but I actually think it was too light. This time around I used up all of the wheat flour and needed 3/4 cup more so I topped it off with a little all purpose. I also got to use some lovely raw honey a friend provided us with. I can't wait to taste it.
    A few notes:
    All of the seeds, oats, cracked wheat should be raw
    If you don't have cracked wheat but you have whole wheat just give a 1/4 cup a quick whirl in a blender or coffee grinder (not too long or you will end up with flour)
    If you have trouble with you bread taking a long time to rise, I did since our house is usually on the cooler side stick your dough in its oiled bowl inside a trash bag (a new one.) Blow the trash bag up like a balloon and tie it off so your bowl is inside a plastic bubble. This will create the perfect environment to raise the dough in.
    This bread is superb. It isn't too sweet and toasts up wonderfully. Everyone I have shared it with really enjoys it. I have always loved DKB but I am very happy to have a comparable recipe. I'm so excited to try adding different seeds and grinding my own flour. Thank you again for this wonderful bread.

    ReplyDelete